To connect an email account to Outlook program, a user needs to enter his email address and password in order to retrieve emails from the said email account. This way, one can easily link his all email account on Outlook, and can access them easily whenever required. However, if the user changes the password of his email account ever, he will also need to update the changed password in Outlook in order to keep accessing the email account via the email program. Moreover, Outlook data file can be easily protected using a password. And, if one ever wishes to change the Outlook.com password, he can do so by simply changing the Account password. To know how to change the password in Outlook.com, follow the step-by-step instructions provided below.
3 Ways to Change Password in Outlook Mail Account
1.) For Outlook Connected Accounts
- On your Outlook program, click on the File tab and select Info This will open the Account Information page on your screen.
- Next, select the Account Settings option and choose the Account for which you wish to change the password.
NOTE: Here you are going to change the password which Outlook uses to get access to the account, and not the actual password of the account. If you are looking to change the password which keeps your email account protected, you will need to do that using your email service. For example, if you wish to change your Yahoo Mail password, you will need to visit the Google Account Recovery first and then you will need to change the password in Outlook.
- Once you have selected the Account for which you wish to change the password, click on the Change button on the next window. You will be directed to the configuration settings of the account you selected.
- Now, simply enter the correct password in the “Password” field located in the “Logon Information” section.
NOTE: This will not change the actual password of your email account. This will only change the password which Outlook uses to access your email account.
- Click on the Next button to save the changes made by you. Outlook will run a test of the account and will try to sign in using the password entered by you. If the test completes successfully, a “Congratulations” notification will appear on your screen.
NOTE: In case you are looking to change the password which you used to protect your Outlook data file, follow these steps.
2.) Change Outlook Password in PST Data File
- On your Outlook program, click on the File tab and select the Info option. An “Account Information” option will appear on the screen.
- As Outlook allows the user to set a password for protecting Outlook data file (PST), if you set a password for the file, you will need to provide the password whenever Outlook is opened for that particular account.
- Now, go to “Account Settings” and select “Account Settings”.
- Under Account Settings window, go to the Data Files This action will provide you the information on your Outlook data files.
- Next, click on the Outlook Data File option and select Settings option to open a new window with Data File Settings.
- On this window, click on the Change Password button and enter your Old password and new password in the prompted fields.
NOTE: The “Change Password” option will not be available if would be using an Exchange account. In that case, your Exchange network password will be required to keep your data protected.
3.) Change Email Account Password in Outlook.com
- To change the password for your com account, go to the Password Reset page of Microsoft via link https://account.live.com/password/reset.
- On this page, select “I forgot my password” option and click on the “Next” button.
- On the next screen, enter your email address or phone number and captcha in the prompted field. Then click on the Next
- Next, you will need to select one of the options on the following screen to receive a security code. The options are most likely to be like these:
- Email ******@gmail.com
- Text ********56
- I don’t have any of these
- If you select any of the above two options – Email address or Phone number and click on the Next button, you will receive a code on your chosen option.
- Once you receive the code, enter it on the subsequent screen and click on the Next button to get to the Password Reset
- Simply enter your new password in the prompted fields and click on the Next The password for all your Microsoft accounts including Outlook will be changed.
NOTE: In case you have access to neither your email address nor your phone number, select “I don’t have any of these” option. You will then be provided a short questionnaire for verifying your identity as the rightful owner.