Skype is one of the best telecommunication application software used by all levels of organizations worldwide. It is known for offering a wide range of communication services such as Text Messaging, Voice Calls, Video Calls, File Sharing, Group Calls etc. Not only for professional purpose but also for personal tasks, a user can make the most of Skype. While Skype is quite compatible with most of the operating systems, especially Windows, however, some users face trouble operating it on Windows 10. If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and experiencing crashing issues with your Skype program, you can fix the issue by following the information provided below.
Guide to Fix Skype Crash Issues in Windows 10
Most common issues related to “Skype Crashing” in Windows 10 are:
- The application can’t be launched or you can’t log in to it.
- Skype is crashing, lagging or freezing frequently.
- Skype connectivity issues notification – “You can’t connect to Skype” or “Sorry, we couldn’t connect to Skype”.
- Audio/Video Issues: You are unable to see each other or the sound or voice is not getting through.
If you are facing such sort of issues with your Skype program in Windows 10, you can try fixing them by following the workarounds provided below:
Reinstall your Rebellious Skype
One of the best ways to fix the issues with your Skype program is by reinstalling the app. To do so, just follow the steps provided below:
- On your Windows 10 computer, go to the Start menu, go to the Control Panel option and select Programs and Features.
- Under Programs and Features, you will need to right-click on the Skype program and click on the Uninstall option.
- Next, you will need to just follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
- Once you are done the uninstalling Skype program, you will need to install it back. For this, you will need to go to the Windows Store and search for the latest version of Skype. Make sure that it is compatible with your Windows 10 program.
- Then, simply download and install the application. Alternatively, you can also download and install it from the official website of Skype.
Check your Skype Program for Windows Update
Sometimes the problem with the frequent crashing of Skype can be due to the outdated you can also check your Skype program for any sort of Windows update by following these instructions:
- On your computer, go to the Start Menu and enter “Windows Update” in the search bar. From the result that appears on your screen, click on the Windows Update option. This will direct you to the Windows Update panel.
- In the Windows Update panel, click on the Check for updates button (if available) and download and install the updates.
- After installing the updates, restart your computer and then launch the Skype program. The problem should get fixed with your Skype program.
Check your Computer for Malware Issues
Another reason that could be affecting the functionality of Skype program could be the presence of malware in your Windows 10 computer. Therefore, it is suggested to also scan your system for any possibility of Malware.
Windows Defender: Windows Defender is a default anti-malware tool that focuses on guarding your Windows 10 against any sort of malware attack. It can come quite handy in preventing your system against malware and protect Skype and other programs.
- Go to the Settings option, select Update & Security option, and then open the Windows Defender.
- Once the Windows Defender program gets launched, run a full scan on your computer to allow the program to clear your system from any sort of malware present in it.
Alternatively, you can also scan your computer using any other Antivirus program that you might be using. Run a complete scan of your computer using the Antivirus program and then try using the Skype program.
- Check the Status of Skype on Skype Heartbeat
Sometimes the problem could be on Skype’s end as well, so instead of fixing errors on your side, you should also check the status of Skype. You can easily check the status of Skype by visiting the website of Skype Heartbeat.
- On your web browser, go to the link https://support.skype.com/en/status/ and check the Status of Skype.
- Just browse through the page for different options to thoroughly know the status of Skype.
Repair Corrupt or Missing System Files
Corrupt or missing system files can also be the reason for affecting Skype from functioning correctly. So, try to repair any such missing or corrupt system files in your Windows 10 computer in order to make Skype function correctly.
To repair the system files:
- Go to Start, enter Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Next, you will need to enter DISM.exe/Online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth.
- Then, you will need to enter sfc /scannow and wait for the system scan to finish.
- After that, restart your computer and check whether you Skype is working fine or not.
Clear Junk from your Computer
Corrupt keys and invalid entries from the Windows registry can also cause the Skype application to function abruptly. Therefore, it is recommended to keep your Windows 10 organized and free from clutter. For this, you will need to keep cleaning your computer on regular basis using different software available on the online. Just follow the instructions provided for the particular software to clear junk from your computer on regular basis.
Boot Your Windows 10 Computer in Safe Mode with Networking
Booting your computer in safe mode runs it with essential programs and services only. This can help in determining the problem causing an issue with the Skype program. Follow these steps to boot your computer in Safe Mode.
- On your computer, go to Start menu, select Settings option, and click open Update & Security option to go to the Recovery section.
- Next, under Advanced Startup, click Restart Now and select an option, and then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
- Then, go to Startup Settings, select restart and then select Safe Mode with Networking option.
After this, try to open Skype and sign in to your account. If you find Skype to be working fine, you can start your computer back in normal mode. However, if the problem still persists, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard, type %appdata% in the field and press Enter key.
- Next, you will need to search for the Skype folder, right-click on it, and rename the folder to Skype_2.
Check Your Internet Connection
When your Skype calls keep on freezing, the video appears pixilated, blurred or the voice of the people you are calling appears to be robotic, it could be because of using a slow internet connection. In such a case, you should follow the workaround below to fix your internet connection:
- Check whether or not your network equipment is working correctly.
- Check your router settings for any sort of misconfiguration or error. Make sure there is no signal interference with the router.
- If you are using WiFi internet connection, make sure your computer is in the internet coverage only.
- Scan your computer for malware infection as suggested above.
- Disable background programs to enhance the speed of your internet.
- Ask your internet service provider to fix the issues with your internet connection.
Reconfigure Your Internet Network Settings
In case your Skype is showing connectivity error, you can try fixing the error by following these steps:
- Press Window key + X, select Command Prompt (Admin), choose Yes and enter the following text: ipconfig /release
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss+=enabled
netsh int tcp show global
- Press Enter and restart your computer
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is enabled by default which is known for opening ports automatically. Sometimes, this feature may cause Skype login or connectivity issue, so, disabling this feature should resolve the issue.
- Go to Skype > Tools > Options > Advanced.
- Next, go to Connection > Uncheck Enable UPnP > Save > Restart your computer.
Resolve Driver Issues
If you are unable to:
- Make or answer video calls.
- Be heard by other callers.
- Hear anything on calls
You can try fixing the issue by checking your Driver software.
- Text the settings of your devices using the Echo / Sound Test Service.
- Try detaching and then reattaching the external devices.
- Check whether or not your Skype program has access to right devices.
- Check the batteries of your wireless devices.
- Make sure that your devices are plugged in and powered on.
- Restart your computer.
In case your devices are not functioning the way they should, it is suggested to repair the driver software.
- Update Drivers with Windows Update
Check Windows Update using the Search bar in Start option and check if an update is available. If there are updates available, simply follow the on-screen instructions to install the updates and then restart your computer to finalize the installation.
- Update Drivers Manually
Instead of downloading Windows Update automatically, you can also update your drivers manually by installing the latest updates from the authentic source on the internet.
- Using Special Tool Fix Driver Problems
There are numerous tools available on the internet that can help you fix your drivers easily. Make sure to use a reliable tool when looking to fix issues with your software driver.
Keep Skype Program Updated
Another reason that could be affecting the functionality of your Skype program is using an outdated version of the software. In such a case, keeping your Skype program up to date with the latest version. For this,
- Uninstall Skype program from your computer and download the latest version from the official website of Skype.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the latest version of Skype.
- After that, sign in to your Skype account and check if the problem is fixed or not.
- Make sure to frequently update the Skype program for an uninterrupted experience.
So, these are the different ways you can fix common issues of Skype.