You can know whether your Yahoo Mail account has been hacked or not by identifying certain signs. Following are some of the signs that indicate hacking of an email account.
- Suddenly not receiving any emails in the account.
- Account info or settings changed.
- Finding login sessions from different locations on your recent activity window.
- Your account is sending spam to your contacts.
If you find any of the above-listed or any other signs that indicate hacking of your account, it suggested to straight away reset your account password. You can reset your password by two methods. The first method is feasible if you are able to access your hacked account. You can simply change the password to deny access to hackers with the current password. On the other hand, the second method is ideal if you can’t access your account. You can simply reset your password using Account Recovery option.
Method 1: Change Password
- Sign-in to your Yahoo account and select Settings option under the Gear icon located at the upper right corner of the Yahoo Mail page.
- Under Settings, select Account security tab and enter a password if prompted.
- Now, under Account security page, click on Change Password option and enter a new password. Confirm it when you are done.
Method 2: Reset Password using Account Recovery Option
- Enter your email address on the sign-in page of Yahoo and click Next
- Select I forgot my password link on the next page and you will be directed to Account verification
- Recognize the Account recovery option shown on the window and select Yes, text me an Account Key Account recovery option generally includes an email address and mobile phone number.
- Enter the Account Key received on your phone/email on the subsequent page and click Verify
- Once it is verified successfully, you will see a success message along with two options – Continue and Create a new password. While selecting Continue option will take you to your Yahoo account, clicking on Create a new password option will take you to Password Reset Just enter a new strong password and click Continue.
- After that, you will be taken to review your Account recovery option. Here you will be able to add, remove, or edit your account recovery option. Once done, click Look good button to get access to your Yahoo account.
In order to make your Yahoo account more secure and protected, it is suggested to enable two-step verification on your account. You can do that by activating the slider button located next to two-step verification option under Account security page.
So, these are some of the ways and suggestion to follow when your Yahoo Mail account gets hacked.