There could be varied reasons that you may need to set up an email account for your minor kids. Maybe your kid needs it for the typing class in the school or maybe he seems to be a budding tech savvy. No matter the reason, you can easily create, manage, and control the email account of your kid easily and safely when you go for Gmail services. To know how to create and secure Google account for your child (under 13), follow the information provided below.
Steps to Create and Manage your Child’s Google Account
Create a New Gmail Account
- To create an account in the Family Link app, pen the Family Link app. If you don’t have a Family Link app, go to the family link setup page via link https://families.google.com/familylink/setup/##setup to get started.
- Next, tap on the Create + option and follow the on-screen instructions to create the account.
- Once you are done, you will see a confirmation window on your device’s screen.
To Configure a New Android Device
If you are setting up a new device operating on Android 7 or higher, you will need to follow these steps to create a Google Account for your child (under 13).
- Switch on your new Android device and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the initial configuration process.
- When you are prompted to log in with your Google Account, simply tap on the Create new account
NOTE: If you don’t see Create new account option, tap on the More Options to find the option.
- Now, enter your child’s name, gender, birth date, email address, and
- After that, simply follow the prompted instructions to log in using your own Google Account, provide parental consent and define your child’s Google account settings.
When Adding a New Account to an Existing Android Device
- Start by removing any existing accounts on your Android device.
- Delete applications, photos and other data from the device which you don’t want your kid to have access to.
- Next, go to the Settings window on your device and tap on the Users & account and select Add account
- Then, tap on the account that you wish to add. For example, if you wish to add a Google account, tap on the Google option. As you will sign in with a Google account, emails, contacts, calendar, and other data associated with the selected account will get synced automatically to your Android device.
NOTE: When asked to sign-in with your Google account, tap on the Create new account option. However, if you don’t see this option, tap on the More options to locate the Create new account option.
- After that, enter your child’s name, Birthday, Gender, Email Address, and Password and follow the on-screen instructions to log in with your Google account and make changes to the settings of your child’s account.
- If you wish to manage an existing Google Account with Family Link, unfortunately, Google doesn’t allow the user to manage an existing Google account with Family Link.
- If your child has a Google account through his or her school, you can add their school account as another user on their Android device. However, you will not be able to use Family Link parental supervision feature to that account.
- You can’t manage a Google Account for your child who is over 13 years.
- When creating a Google Account for your child, you will be asked to provide parental consent. One of the ways to provide your consent is by allowing a nominal charge on your credit card. The amount which is charged for the service is donated by Google to a child protection organization.
Safety and Security Tips for a Family Account
- Discuss with your family about online security.
- Make sure of privacy settings and sharing controls.
- Keep your computer and identity protected using security software.
- Look for age restrictions on websites.
- Be careful when visiting an unknown website.
- Be careful of phishers.
- Use a strong password for your account.
So, this is how you can create and manage your child’s Google account.