Your password is the first line of defense in your Yahoo Mail account against online threats such as hacking, fishing etc. Therefore utmost importance and consideration must be given when creating a password for your Yahoo Mail account, or in fact any other online account. To know how you can create a strong password for your Yahoo Mail account to enhance its security, follow the suggestions provided below.
Tips to Create a Strong Password for Yahoo Mail Account
1.) Use Uncommon Words
When creating a password, it is always best to make use of unusual words instead of using predictable words such password, your name, surname etc.
2.) Use 12 or more Characters
Make sure to have at least 12 characters in your password as longer passwords are considered to more secure. They are difficult to hack.
3.) Don’t be Predictable
Try to avoid using personal information such as your Name, Yahoo ID, Birth Date etc.
4.) Avoid Using Repeated Characters or Sequences
Avoid using adjacent characters on your keyboards such as ASDF, QWERTY etc.
5.) Never use the Same Password for All Website
Using the same password for all website makes all the accounts vulnerable if any of the accounts get hacked or exposed to online threats. Therefore, make sure to use one password for one account only.
6.) Never Share your Password
It is strongly recommended to never share your password with anyone, not even with your friends. Also, do not write your password in diaries, or save it in your mobile.
7.) Make a Combination of Characters
It is best to create a combination of alphabets, numbers, and special characters when creating a password for your Yahoo Mail account. This way, your password will be more difficult to predict and hack.
8.) Change your Password Frequently
Using the same password for a long time is not recommended. Therefore, keep changing your Yahoo Mail password every few months.
9.) Two-Step Verification
Apart from creating a strong Password for your Yahoo Mail account, enabling two-step verification feature will add to the security level of your account. Activating this feature will send a verification code to your phone number each time you access your account from a new device or web browser.
- Sign into your Yahoo Mail account.
- Click on the Account info option under your profile name on the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Select Account security option under Account info window and click on the slider option next to the Two-step verification
- After that, just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
10.) Use Account Key if You Can’t Remember your Password
If you find it difficult to remember your Yahoo Mail password, you can use Account Key feature to sign into your Yahoo Mail account. Activating this feature will make Yahoo send a notification to your phone, and you will need to tap on your phone in order to get access to your account. To activate this feature follow these steps:
- Go to the Account security page of your Yahoo account.
- Click on the See how it works option and select your device on which you wish to get notified.
- Next, click or tap on the Send me a notification option to get a notification on your Yahoo Mail app on your desired device.
- Then, tap on the Approve icon on your mobile device.
- After that, get back to your web browser and click or tap on the “Always use Yahoo Account Key” option.
- Then, confirm your phone number, which can be used to contact in case you lose access to your connected device.
- Once you activate this feature, you will need to allow permission through your connected device in order to access your Yahoo account.
NOTE: Make sure you have signed into your Yahoo Mail app on your mobile device to make this Account Key work.
So, this is how you can create a stronger password for your Yahoo mail account and enhance the security of it.